Staying Well During a Health Emergency
An article with healthy strategies for the whole family.
There are several important ways to stay well during a health emergency.
- Wash your hands often for at least 20 seconds. Important times to wash: after you sneeze or cough, before eating, and after using the bathroom.
- Make sure children can easily reach the sink, soap, and towels. If soap is not available, use alcohol-based hand cleanser with at least 60% alcohol.*
- Have children sing the entire alphabet song twice as they scrub, so they know how long to wash.
Can’t Touch This!
- Touching your face is normal—humans touch their face an average of of 20 times per hour!**—but keeping your hands away from your face really helps prevent the spread of germs.
- Use positive reinforcement to encourage little ones to keep their hands away from their face. Say, “I like that you’re not touching your face right now.”
Cover It Up
- If you need to cough or sneeze, cover your mouth or nose with a tissue and throw it away after using it, then wash your hands. If you don’t have a tissue handy, cough or sneeze into the bend of your arm to help keep hands germ-free.
- Help children practice coughing into the bend of their arm. Show them how their elbow makes a little corner when they bend their arm and remind them to “cough into the corner.”
Helping Children Through Grief Related To COVID-19
There are ways to help families talk about death, express their feelings, and grieve together.
Hooper’s Store Reopens
As communities open up, together we can adjust to a new way of doing things—while keeping everyone safe.
When Children Miss Their Friends
There are ways to stay connected with people we love...safely.
Elmo and Abby’s Check-up Play Date
Pretend play can help children “rehearse” situations that may frighten them.
S Is for Staying Healthy
Well visits are an opportunity to talk about how to help children grow and develop as healthily as possible.
My Whole Healthy Life: Meet Reignen
A video about the different ways a Native American child and his family stay healthy.
My Whole Healthy Life: Meet Wa.Sta.Tse
A video about the different ways a Native American child and her family stay healthy.