Making Math Time Anytime!
Tips to highlight math in everyday life.
You practice math every day, whether you’re measuring ingredients for a recipe or pressing a numbered button in an elevator. Highlighting math moments helps children understand that math is both fun and useful.
- Together, use your phone to check the temperature outside, or step outdoors to feel the air around you. Is it higher or lower than it was the day before? By how much?
- Use descriptive math words to help your child get dressed. For instance, “I put your pants on top of your bed” or “I put your socks next to the lamp.”
- Go on a shape hunt! Look at signs, buildings, and clouds to find different shapes.
- Play with patterns. Try walking in patterns: giant step, baby step, giant step, baby step. Children will also be practicing listening skills by following directions.
- Count bath toys or bubbles, and use cups to measure different amounts of water.
- Mark children’s height against a wall once in a while, and point out the change each time.
Just for Teachers: The Magic of Circle Time
Learning is all about relationships!
My Classroom Circle
Children can create their own unique circle canvas to share their favorite things with their classroom community... and see what they may have in common.
When children feel welcome and included, school can feel like a learning party that they’re invited to each and every day!
C is for...
Classroom communities care, collaborate, show compassion… and celebrate!
Sing-Along: Learning Party
Every day can be a celebration of learning. Keep the music going!
Back to School
A video that explores ways parents can build bridges of communication between the home and the classroom.
Cookie Monster at Circle Time
A storybook about circle time, classroom community, caring friends, and... COOKIES!