A Monster-Fairy Problem
A video about the challenges and joys of a blended Muppet family.
Together, watch this video about a special new family on Sesame Street and learn how they all came together. Depending on children’s age, you might ask them to explain how all four characters are all related (Abby and Rudy are stepsiblings, Freddie is Abby’s stepfather, Maggie is Rudy’s stepmother, and so on).
Then invite children to talk about their own family:
- Abby was having a hard time because she missed her daddy. What’s hardest about the changes in our family?
- What do you think might make it easier? Let’s think of some things that may help.
- How is our family like the monster-fairy family? How are we different?
- What is something you really like doing with [someone in our new blended family]?
- How are you the same as [someone else in our family]? How are you different from each other?
The Wiggle-Jiggle Game
A video about a getting-to-know you game that helps kids appreciate similarities and differences.
A video about the community bonds of the Sesame Street barbershop.
Take Your Child to Work Day
A video about “take your child to work” day, and the bonding, learning and inspiration that can take place there.
Abuela Makes a Quilt
A storybook about the bonding that can happen through art.
Grandparents Are Grand!
There’s a lot that grandparents can do to bond with grandchildren (even at a distance) and to help them build the social skills they’ll need in school—and in life!
5 Things I Want Other Black Dads to Know
An article about Black fathers.
This webinar to helps providers better understand, celebrate, and support fathers.