Good communication amongst family, healthcare providers, and children leads to trusting relationships and inspires healthy habits…and well-child visits are a great time to communicate!
Talking and listening are important parts of any doctor’s visit. Together with your child, watch this video and notice how the doctor, Abuela, and Rosita ask questions and share information at her five-year-old well visit. After you watch, you might:
- Ask children questions about what happened at Rosita’s check-up. What parts of the visit were familiar? How was Rosita’s visit similar to their own experiences?
- Point out that the doctor listens to Rosita’s heart. He hears her heartbeat and knows her heart is healthy. The doctor listens to Rosita and Abuela’s words, too. Talk about the things Rosita tells her doctor she loves to do. What does he learn about Rosita? What do Rosita and the doctor both enjoy? The more the doctor knows about Rosita, the more he can help her grow healthy and strong.
- Ask children what they might want to tell their doctor on their next visit. Each family has their own unique strengths and many of those strengths are related to their culture. Rosita talks about dancing with her extended family at parties and falling asleep to her Abuela’s lullabies. Think about how your family’s culture and traditions play a role in your child’s daily routines and health.
- Notice how Abuela asks the doctor questions and shares information about Rosita. Think about any questions you might have for your child’s doctor about food, physical activity, bedtime routines, or sleep.
- Point out that Rosita gets a special sticker after her check-up. The doctor and her Abuela know that going to the doctor can bring up big feelings, such as fear, excitement, or worry. They’re proud of Rosita, and Rosita is proud of herself too! Ask children how they might like celebrating when they feel proud.
Special thanks to the American Academy of Pediatrics.
My Whole Healthy Life: Meet Reignen
A video about the different ways a Native American child and his family stay healthy.
My Whole Healthy Life: Meet Wa.Sta.Tse
A video about the different ways a Native American child and her family stay healthy.
Visiting the Doctor: Helping Kids Grow Up Strong & Healthy
Preparation and communication help you get the best care for your child at every medical visit.
Regular check-ups can be a fun and informative experience for the whole healthy team, kids included!
Connecting & Communicating
Communication and connection with families is key to building a strong, effective healthy team.
Communicating at Doctor’s Visits
Good communication leads to good care for your child.
Elmo and Abby’s Check-up Play Date
Pretend play can help children “rehearse” situations that may frighten them.