Good Neighbors Are Compassionate
Muppets show compassion to another creature.
Watch the video together with children. Can they describe what compassion is in their own words? Remind them that when we show compassion to others, we care for them and are kind to them. We think about their feelings and needs. Compassion and empathy let us feel happy about others’ good feelings, too.
- How was the cat feeling when she was stuck in the tree? (scared, nervous) Have you ever felt like that? (you might share a time when you felt that way)
- Why did the friends need to call Elmo’s daddy? (to be safe around an animal they didn’t know)
- What do you think Rosita was thinking as she held the cat? How do you think she was feeling? How do you think the cat was feeling?
- Can you talk about a time you showed compassion to another person (or animal)?
- Can you talk about a time someone showed compassion to you?
- Besides being compassionate, what are some other ways that someone can show you they are a good friend?
Check out this page and keep the learning going! Once children have watched all of the videos and completed all the printable pages, print this certificate (or look at it together on-screen) so they can join the club themselves.
Creating Feelings of Safety and Calm
Self-care strategies can help families focus and relax when big feelings come up.
Abby's Broken Wand
A storybook featuring strategies to help children cope with big feelings.
Building and Rebuilding Language Skills—and Community!
An article about building children’s language skills by enriching your interactions.
Building a Connected Community
Take a course on ways to help children and families get ready for school and life--together!
In our course Caring Communities, you can explore the ways to embed storybooks, printables, videos, and digital games in your work with everyone in your neighborhood.
Roads to Resilience
The course Roads to Resilience highlights some of the best assets from topics across SesameWorkshop.org with customized approaches, tips and tricks on using these resources in your work with caregivers and their children.
In this webinar, you’ll learn how you can use our “Little Neighbors” initiative to help children and their families discover their power to make their communities—and the world—a happier, healthier, safer place for everyone.