Elmo’s World: Play Ball!
Watch Elmo and Dorthy learn different ways to play with a ball.
Watch the video together as Elmo and Dorothy learn about different ways to play with balls. Then, find a soft ball, like a beach ball or a bouncy ball, and try any of these games together indoors:
- Sit on the floor opposite each other, and roll the ball back and forth.
- Find an open space to practice throwing and catching.
- Have a ball-bounce competition! Count how many times kids can bounce the ball continuously on the floor.
- Find an open space and try keeping a beach ball up in the air. Kids will be developing hand-eye coordination as the ball moves around.
- Set up a simple obstacle course for older kids using beach pails or buckets, or pieces of paper held down by twigs or rocks (to mark places on the ground). Challenge kids to kick a ball (similar in size to a soccer ball) around the obstacles. They’ll be practicing body control and experimenting with force.
“First/Then” Boards: Managing Daily Routines
A printable tool to help children know what to expect in their daily routines and activities.
Planning for Play in Daily Routines
A printable page to plan moments of playfulness during daily routines.
Provider-Parent Communications Log
A printable page to help parents and caregivers communicate about a child’s day.
Communicating with Parents and Caregivers Around Routines
An article offering strategies for communication with parents/caregivers.
Lesson Planning Practice
A tool to plan opportunities for learning connected to monthly and weekly themes.
Shaping an Engaging Learning Environment
Your space is full of opportunities for children to learn and grow!
Planning Our Days: Creating Schedules for Children
Planning ahead can help you be intentional about the learning of the children in your care!